Is There Sugar in Synflex®?
Glucosamine Is Not Your Typical Sugar
March 03, 2013
Glucosamine is technically a type of sugar, but it is not the same as your regular table sugar. Nor is it the same as sugar found naturally in fruit. Table sugar, also known as â€œgranular sugar, is made up of the organic compound, sucrose. Sucrose is a disaccharide, made up of glucose and fructose.
Glucosamine, on the other hand, is a simple amino sugar. It is a monosaccharide, meaning that it is in its basic form and not constructed from other sugars, as is table sugar.
Glucose and Glucosamine are Not Related
Glucose, also known as dextrose, is a monosaccharide. Cells use glucose as their primary source of energy. It is also a key component of photosynthesis. Higher than usual glucose levels may be a sign of diabetes.
Glucosamine has a different molecular structure and is a natural component of the body. Glucosamine is a key component of the extracellular matrix of cartilage (the grout between the cartilage cells). It absorbs and releases water with each step, thereby acting as a shock absorber for the joints. With more glucosamine, there is more joint protection.
If You are Diabetic, Talk to Your Doctor First
If you are diabetic, talk to your doctor before initiating any glucosamine supplement. Most studies show no relationship between glucosamine and increased blood sugar levels. Your doctor will most likely still want to closely monitor your blood sugar levels if you are taking this supplement.
One possible reason why a few studies have shown increased blood sugar levels is because of interactions between glucosamine and some diabetic medications. Make sure your doctor is aware of any medications and supplements you are taking to check for any interactions before implementing a glucosamine supplement.
You may also be interested in:
- Hip Dysplasia In Dogs - Severe forms of hip dysplasia in dogs lead to painful and sometimes crippling arthritis. There is no “cure” for hip dysplasia, but steps can be taken to alleviate the symptoms and help your dog live a pain free, active life
- Glucosamine Side Effects - There are no clinical studies that clearly demonstrate that there are any known side effects of Glucosamine. The same is true of Chondroitin Sulfate which is often found in Glucosamine formulas.
- Treatments For TMJ - TMJ is the abbreviation for the temporomandibular joint, the joint that connects the lower jaw to the skull. Temporomandibular Syndrome (TMJ Syndrome) can occur from a variety of reasons, but osteoarthritis is one of the most common reasons.
- Relief To Your Joints - Father Time loves you so much that he squeezes and compress his arms around your body giving you a long strong hug. Father Time, however, doesn’t know his own strength and this hurts your entire human body.
- Liquid Glucosamine, Not A Hoax - You might be saying to yourself, “liquid Glucosamine seems too good to be true,\" but in fact liquid Glucosamine is not a hoax.
- Topical Use Of Glucosamine - The use of liquid Glucosamine supplements has been shown to effectively manage Osteoarthritis symptoms, but sometimes you have an ache that comes on suddenly. Is there a fast acting agent that can be used for instant relief?
- Choosing The Best Glucosamine - If you are experiencing arthritis related pain, then you have likely heard of Glucosamine. Many health care professionals recommend Glucosamine supplements to their patients as a first course of action.
- Best Liquid Glucosamine - If you, or someone close to you, suffers from arthritis then you know firsthand how hard it can be to go about your daily life without running into the usual aches and pains.
- Living With Arthritis - If you have arthritis, then you know first-hand how difficult it can be to go about living a normal lifestyle. The aches and pains can constantly hold you back from things that you once loved doing.
- Glucosamine Reduces Cancer? - Glucosamine and Chondroitin are used most frequently for their arthritis fighting capabilities. Studies have shown that Glucosamine and Chondroitin work synergistically to aid in joint health by repairing damaged cartilage
- Working With Arthritis - If you are one of the millions of people who are forced to work each day with the menacing pain of arthritis, just know that there are ways to make each work day go by a little less painfully.
- Healthy Joints - As we age, our bodies tend to change. Things that once seemed so easy can become a struggle. If you are like the other 49.9 million Americans in the US that has been diagnosed with arthritis, you may be experiencing the adverse symptoms of the disease.
- About Chondroitin - Chondroitin is safe and effective as an Osteoarthritis pain relieving aid. Chondroitin is naturally found in the body, but diminishes as we age or when our health is compromised. Chondroitin is an important element in the creation of cartilage.
- Glucosamine For Osteoarthritis - The joints develop Osteoarthritis (OA) for various reasons, but in all cases the joints have stopped producing the critical elements that are necessary to maintain them.
- Osteoarthritis In Athletes - Athletes are prone to Osteoarthritis. The participation in vigorous sports, such as basketball, track and field, and baseball can result in various stressors and injuries to the joints.